The Emirate of Fujairah is unique among the other emirates as it is located in a strategic position on the Gulf of Oman, giving it an edge on the East coast of United Arab Emirates with access to Indian Ocean. Lying close to the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s busiest shipping lanes, Fujairah enjoys an unparalleled shipping advantage on the Eastern seaboard while other Emirates lie in the Arabian Gulf. The presence of a stable political scenario, excellent infrastructure, strong economy, pleasant weather, and long coastline makes Fujairah an ideal destination to invest and start business.
Fujairah at a Glance
The Emirate of Fujairah is the fifth largest Emirate in UAE covering 1165 sq. kilometers, equivalent to 1.5% of the total area of UAE, without the islands. City of Fujairah is the capital and is the residence of His Highness Sheik Hamad Bin Al-Sharqi, the Ruler of Fujairah, and the center of governmental, institutional and commercial activities. The presence of series of rugged mountains surrounding the emirate makes it one of the most fertile lands in the country paving way to numerous agricultural farms. Fujairah is characterized by pleasant climate, touristic coastal beaches, laid back mountain resorts, natural valleys and springs of marvelous beauty making it one of the favorite tourist destinations in Middle East. Fujairah’s economy is based on the local industries consist of cement manufacturing, stone crushing, mining, fishing and shipping activities.
Economic Development in Fujairah
In over two decades the Emirate of Fujairah has transformed itself into a burgeoning center for commercial trade, manufacturing business and shipping activities. The progressive developmental activities carried out under the guidance of the Ruler of Fujairah by the establishment of free trade zones in Fujairah has greatly contributed to the economy. The federal government employs majority of the native and local workforce while there is a huge skilled and unskilled foreign labor force available for businesses. The port of Fujairah plays a pivotal role in the economy in cooperation with the Jebel Ali Port Free Zone, Fujairah International airport offering extensive connectivity and Fujairah Creative City Free zone which delivers comprehensive solutions for digital, media or commercial companies with customized, and extensive governmental support.
Port of Fujairah
The Port of Fujairah is the only multi-purpose port on the eastern seaboard of UAE, approximately 70 miles from the Strait of Hormuz. The port has a monumental share in enhancing the economy of Fujairah and stimulates shipping and trade activities in the City of Fujairah. It is augmented by the installation of modern facilities in the port and construction of new terminals purpose built for handling wet-cargo. Jebel Ali Port plays a pivotal role in the economy in cooperation with the Jebel Ali Port Free Zone which offers phenomenal growth opportunities for foreign businesses to set up and operate in the zone. Due to ease of logistics and business friendly environment ships passing through Persian Gulf anchor here for their provisions, supplies, repairs, spares and technical support before proceeding to long voyages.
Facilities and Services at Port of Fujairah
- 1400 meters main quay dredged to 15-meter depth
- Paved cargo storage area of 500,000 sq. meters
- Pre-shipment & Post shipment compacted storage area of 150,000 sq. meters
- Bunkering and Trading for shipping vessels
- Port Facilities for small supply craft users and agents
- Container Handling and stockpile storage arrangement
- 24/7 service with variety of backup equipment available round the clock
- Excellent road links within UAE and other countries
- Adjacent to Jebel Ali Free Zone
- Skilled and experienced work force
- High level of expertise in Road relay, Consolidation & Deconsolidation, Sea to Air cargo dispatch and Transshipments
- Economic advantages to container operators
- Port services Ship Bunkering, supplies, repair, spare parts and inspection
- Outstanding reputation for safety & security in operation and handling
- High level of control and policing
Types of Cargo Handled by Port of Fujairah
- General Cargo – Project Cargoes
- Bulk Cargo – Aggregate exports, Bulk loading operations
- Wet Bulk Cargo – Crude, Fuel, Oil, Gas, Condensate, Gasoline, Jet A-1, Naphtha and Base Oil
Fujairah International Airport
The Fujairah International Airport commenced its operations in October 1987 under the vision of His Highness Sheik Hamad Bin Al Sharqi who saw the potential of what Fujairah can deliver in the transportation and logistics sector. On a mission to connect Fujairah through the skies and develop it as a place for travelers, businessmen and tourists to relax, enjoy and conduct business in the state. Fujairah International Airport has been constructed with excellent infrastructure and possess outstanding capabilities in passenger handling and cargo services with high quality standards and integrity. The airport is a fully 24-hour operational center specialized in cargo services, passenger handling, aircraft maintenance, fueling, business flights, flight training, and aircraft parking.
Key Features of Fujairah International Airport
- Positional advantage 1.6kms from city and 5kms from Fujairah seaport
- Capacity to handle 2 million passengers a year
- Executive Business Jet Terminal for business travelers with lounges
- Airport cargo terminal incorporates 9000m2
- Warehousing facilities with cold storage and livestock holding areas
- Passenger terminal has 3 gates, 12 check-in desks
- Spacious arrival and departure lounges with options to relax and refresh
- VIP lounges, duty-free shops, restaurants and cafeterias
- Iconic modern air traffic control tower for safe airport operation
- 11/29 Asphalt runway 3750-meter-long and 45-meter-wide with safety area of 240 m long with 150 m width
- Additional parallel runways, paved taxiways and aprons of length 200m and 250m width
- Large hangars to accommodate large body aircraft
- Exclusive engineering building, aircraft maintenance, support and aircraft overhaul (MRO) facility
Free Zones in Fujairah
The Emirate of Fujairah offers incentives and services to start business operations in Fujairah by designing and developing specialized free trade zone or Free Zones (FTZ or FZ) across the state in strategic locations such as seaports, airports, cities and manufacturing centers:
- Fujairah Free Zone (FFZ)
- Fujairah Creative City Free Zone (FCC-FZ)
- International Free Zone Authority (IFZA)
The Emirate of Fujairah is well-connected to major locations such as Dubai, Sharjah, Muscat and Abu Dhabi in Middle East by well-built highways in less than 4 hours and is extensively accessible by sea, and air making it an ideal business and trading hub.
If you are planning to start your business in Fujairah, it is advisable to consult a business advisor to help you with the legal and accounting formalities. Business Setup Worldwide can help you in this regard. To kick-start your business, contact us today – we’d be happy to help!